Saturday, January 3, 2009

first blood botch

» It was my first time giving blood.
» Ooh, I love giving blood! How was it?
» It was okay, I guess. Not great.
» Really? I like pumping that blood out as fast as possible.
» Well, the thing is, it took forever. Those hotshot Walburg Brothers showed up like 10 minutes after I did, and they still got out of there before I even donated a drop of blood.
» What happened?
» So, first, I guess I wasn't in the right line so a few people edged me out that way, but I still went in before the Walburgs. I took my little test and was seated with reasonable speed, but then I kept getting passed off from volunteer to volunteer. While my nurses were telling people to come watch me for a sec, the Walburgs were being seated and hooked up. Finally, my original nurse came back and apologized for the wait. Then she plugged a needle into my left arm, but she was all, "Kim can you come over here?"
» Oh no.
» So, I didn't dare look at my arm, but apparently the needle was in yet no blood was coming out. Then Kim tries adjusting the needle and they're both like, "eep." At that point I look at my arm and it's pretty well covered in blood.
» Oh man.
» I'm getting a little worried, and they start asking me if I'm alright, and I can only tell them "if you say I'm alright then I'm alright," and they say I'm alright. And I was. So then they switched me to a different chair and did my right arm, but by the time I was switching to my new chair, those hotshot Walburg Brothers were already done and out the door.

3 comments:

Nelka said...

That is definitely a rough donation experience. Sorry you had to go through that on your first blood-donating endeavor. Think it'll keep you from giving blood in the future?
Also, since when did they become the Wallburgs?

4-Slyce said...

dang, so we can't use the "we lived in bulgaria" excuse to get out of getting poked...?

stern mister serious said...

Nelka, you know I always change the names to save identities... Actually, It's Adam's fault for having a walburg email address. It confuses me.

4, apparently that excuse has expired.